Matrix has been implementing partial and full steam solutions in paper mills since 2001.
Overview of Pulp & Paper
Pulp and Paper Mills are the third largest users of industrial steam in the world after Oil & Gas and Chemicals. The successful implementation of steam system optimization technologies in this sector represents one of the largest opportunities to make a positive difference in the world without compromising quality of life or product. Matrix estimates that steam system optimization in Pulp and Paper alone can effectively reduce total, ongoing fuel usage in this sector by 4%-6%! That translates to millions of gallons of fuel and many tons of carbon emissions annually.
That said, Matrix understands the business environment of Pulp and Paper, and realizes that not all recommendations are able to be implemented immediately. Improvements that are Business Case friendly, include:
• Cogeneration. There exists significant potential to increase the amount of revenue generated by cogeneration.
• Environmental Goodwill. Environment issues continue to put pressure on cleaning up the processes in pulp & paper production. Our solutions can improve the efficiency, reliability and productivity of steam systems so that you are a good steward of the environment, reducing carbon emissions and total fuel consumed.
• Lean Manufacturing. World factors have periodically caused wide swings up and down with pulp prices. The margins on producing paper continue to drop. Our solutions can improve the efficiency, reliability and productivity of steam systems so that you can do more with less, regardless of the current market price of pulp.
• Permanent Condensate Removal Systems. Switching to permanent condensate removal systems reduce the ongoing equipment and maintenance costs typically associated with mechanical steam traps. Because margins are thin, there is pressure to be careful with their capital and maintenance budgets. By converting to permanent trapping
Extending the Life of Plant Infrastructure. Pulp and paper companies can save millions annually extending the life of their existing plant infrastructure by utilizing Matrix to optimize their existing steam systems. We can often reduce water hammer, erosion, and other problems that cause significant equipment cost.
Several Client Examples:
• Harbor Paper – Hoquiam, Washington
Grays Harbor Paper was one of Matrix’ first clients in 2001. Later, in August of 2007, Grays harbor Paper made a commitment to convert the paper mill. Several phases of implementation were initiated and around 20% of the plant has been converted to permanent condensate removal to date.
• Kimberly-Clark – Everett, Washington
The Everett tissue mill of Kimberly-Clark was an early adapter of venturis primarily for soot blowers, beginning in 2004. Ed Longosky was a strong advocate for venturis in the mill and worked diligently over years to enroll other colleagues to adapt the technology. By the time the mill was decommissioned Matrix had installed 20% of their traps, primarily on drip legs and a few specialty applications to solve reliability problems.
•Boise Paper – Oregon
A Boise paper mill converted around 10% of their plant to venturis beginning in 2005. Because conversion has been done gradually over time as a repair and replacement program, no measurable energy savings results have emerged, although product reliability has been demonstrated.